Monday, August 12, 2013

All That Glitters....

Today is a 'Glitter and Gold' day. 
This is a black tea with a rather broad leaf and is flavored with vanilla, other spices, and little silver candy pieces. When the candies melt, it makes the whole cup of tea glitter and shine. Not kidding. It's my very favorite tea. 
It's supposed to look glittery, but the camera was dumb

Plus it's caffeinated. I appreciate that after a busy day like I had. 
I work at Barnes & Noble. And it's probably the best job I could ask for. I had applied every 6 months for over 7 years before I got in. Now that I'm in, I see no future where I'm NOT working there. At least for the foreseeable future. And I'm okay with that. 
Here's where I stand on my soapbox for a second. 

Working in retail is nothing to be ashamed of. There's no reason to feel like a failure if you choose to stick with a job in retail. I like working with people. I love seeing regular customers come through those doors (of any job) and smile and say "Hi, nice to see you again". I graduated from Cornerstone University with a Bachelors in English. My dream is to be an Acquisitions Editor and I know that that means packing up everything I own, moving somewhere I've never been, and stepping out of my comfort zone. But right now ... I have student loans that I have to get down. So yes, I AM still living with my parents at 26 years old. But that's okay. To other college graduates out there, reading this and in this same situation...It. Is. Okay. We are all going to be fine and there's nothing for us to be embarrassed about. We're in a transition period. That's all. Getting through this? It's going to only help us reach our goals. I'm saving money, I'm saving gas, and ultimately, I'm keeping my head above water. 

*steps off soapbox* 

I'm done now! 
ANYWAY ... today I heard about this awesome series that I absolutely MUST READ!!!! 
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hounded-kevin-hearne/1031186473?ean=9780345522474

Apparently, it's part of a six-book series about the last of the Druids. His name is Atticus O'Sullivan and he pretty much spends his time in solitude with his dog. My friend at co-worker was really talking up this book to me and how she is thoroughly hooked on this character because his sense of humor makes the WHOLE book. 
Anyone read this yet? Because if so ... would you recommend it? I'm anxious to get my hands on a copy. 

This is what I love AND hate about working in a bookstore. You find SO many books you want them all, but you know you should stop buying everything because you know that eventually you'll need to focus on the more important things. Like bills. Car payments. Cell phone payments. Food. Shelter. Etc. But why, why, WHY are they so pretty? With their covers and stories and ... stuff. 

*sighs* The life of a reader is indeed a trying one. 

Well, I think I'm going to wrap this up for now. But I'm glad to see that people are enjoying this blog and anxious to read more. I'll keep posting. 
Always remember that you never have to fear being lonely when you read for a book is a true friend that will remain with you. Books become part of you.

3 comments:

  1. Here in Ireland, it's completely normal for people to stay with their parents well into their 20s (and occasional 30s) - college here isn't expensive, so people are usually saving up to buy a house of their own. It's pretty awesome; there isn't a negative stigma attached to it here.

    You're doing the right thing - the best thing - for yourself, and I'm glad you have that mindset as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement, Rashel!

      Delete
  2. In India girls still live with family till they are married :) boys too actually .. I love ur posts btw keep them coming :D

    ReplyDelete