Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Last Word



Ready ... Set ... Go! 

Okay, here's where I begin. Supernatural. Not the genre. The show. 
My besties Ashleigh and Emily sucked me into it. I was told for YEARS (literally) to watch this show.
My reasoning for not watching it was always a very simple phrase .. "Heck no! I'll have nightmares for months" 

I caved. 

I started on season 1 with my head buried underneath my blankets and one eye fixed tentatively to the screen. There was so much screaming and lots of fake blood spraying all over the place that I thought that my friends really were completely insane for liking this. 
By season 2, I was still having to hide momentarily, but I was vastly getting more and more involved in the lives of Sam and Dean Winchester and their fight against the forces of evil.
Season 3 ... I was hooked and couldn't look away. The entire series can be summed up as kind of like a creepier version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

And incidentally ... I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Anyway, my point is that the show has 100% captured my attention and I'm now on the last season available on Netflix. Season 10. 
Between Castiel getting his grace back and Dean being all rampage-y, I have so many questions as to what's going to happen next and want to talk to my friends about it. 

Image result for Nettle KingThis show reminds me of my reading habits as well.
Have you ever been so stuck on a book that you just want to shout to everyone around you about it? 

That's what is happening to me with Nettle King by Katherine Harbour.

This is the third (possibly final) book in the Night and Nothing series and every time I read, I wind up with a hundred more questions. 
Like ... what is happening to Lily Rose since she returned from the Ghostlands? Why is she so affected by iron and hallowed ground? Did Seth Lot do something to her? 
Who really IS Moth? What did Absalom do to him? Is he actually on Finn's side? Why is the shade of Jack killing everyone of the blessed ones? Will Finn and Jack wind up being okay together? Or will Finn wind up being turned into a Fata herself? 
All I have ever wanted is to find a loyal fanbase of this series and talk about this book at length with them. I even wrote a nice letter to the author herself, complimenting her on creating something that has had me so enthralled. It doesn't take much to hook me on a series, but it DOES take quite a talent to HOLD my attention to one series even after I'm finished. 
Needless to say, I will be very sad when I am turning the final page of this book. 
Sometimes, I have this vision of being able to turn around and grab the first person I see by the shoulders, give them a shake, and demand to know what they think about the books I'm reading. It's a funny image to say the least. I can even imagine the look on their faces because they have no idea what I'm talking about.
My friend, Faith, was almost always the one who would suggest a book for me to read. We'd both read it at our own pace and then would have these lengthy discussions about them. Arguing over who the best characters were seems to be our favorite topic. I still maintain to this day that Irial was the best in the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr.
(stolen from google btw) 


See, Faith? Irial had it all! The punk look. The dark eyes. The enormous wings. *sighs* You're missing out. 

I do believe that books can maintain that grab on a person. If you let it. I actually had a customer come in and ask me if I was being honest about being able to like anything that I read. I told him yes. I may tend to lean towards my Teen Fantasy stories, romances, and Sci-Fi books, but yes, I can and will read anything that is suggested to me. The customer proceeded to tell me that he thought that I was fibbing about that because there was no way that I would be interested in just any subject. I gave him my example. 
I was an English Major. I hate math. I am not strong in science. I am not all that fascinated by Biology. But when I saw a book called 'Naming Jack The Ripper' by Russell Edwards, I still picked it up because something about it caught my attention. I told him that even though the book was filled with mathematical formuli, chemistry equations, and Biological factors involving testing DNA strands, I still couldn't put the book down. 
I believe that we can be fascinated by any book. Not just what's in our comfort zones. When you walk past a book on the shelf that catches your eye, you never know, it could be something that you'll enjoy as long as you keep an open mind about it. 

Needless to say, the customer was speechless. I don't think he expected me to actually have an answer to his question. He still comes in and asks me questions about other books and whether I've read them. He doesn't even question my taste anymore. He just comes in and asks what I've been reading lately. 

Truthfully, I say that you can love any book. You can ask questions about any book. I think you've earned your right to say that you're a true bibliophile when you are able to look beyond your favorite genre and say that yes, you'll read ANYTHING that's set in front of you. School will even be improved in your mind so long as you take a moment to clear your mind and enjoy your textbooks. 

All right, I think I've stood on my soap box long enough. 
Image result for Twilight Sparkle soap box

Farewell everyone! Until NEXT time!

Be Open, Be Loving, Be Yourself
Taryn




No comments:

Post a Comment